Friday, June 13, 2008

My first kite photography

I bought a kit that included the kite, string and camera mount. And I bought a new camera. The contraption automatically takes a photo, then rotates the camera 30 degrees and repeats until you stop it.



Steps to be able to take photo with this kit:

1 Take apart servo and modify the gears to accept bigger diameter screw. This was amazingly tedious. Something I was not expecting.

2 Assemble the rig.

3 Hack camera, and install "firmware enhancement" so the camera can be triggered to take photos via usb, without pushing the button.

4 Assemble the kite using boy scout knots that I forgot.

5 Attach rig to kite string.



6 Try not to let my new camera collide with the ground.

7 Allow the camera to make a few rotations on the rig.

8 Reel camera back in.

7 Happily look through the treasure trove of photos.



Click and see the treasure trove here.

4 comments:

Miss K$ said...

HOly cow Dan! That is sooo coooolllll! Like really really awesome. I heard you talk about it like 3 times, but I had no idea you were actually going to do it. So you got a digital camera. What kind? Cannon like you thought? Wow.
You need to take LOTS more photos.
So cool, SO COOL!

Shane D. said...

Well done! this is really cool!

Jennifer Lynch said...

Wow Dan--that's so cool! Aerial photography!

Hannah Stevenson said...

That is pretty neat Dan! Now we know how a kite sees the world.